Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Where's the Motivation?


Now that football season is over, I began to wonder what story lines in the world of sports would inspire me to write. There were a couple of topics I wanted to cover before the football season went into hibernation, but I missed my window after my computer broke last week. I noticed the NBA All Star game was last weekend. I couldn't believe half a season was gone and I hadn't written about basketball once. I used to look forward to the All Star game. Now it sneaks up on me as much as the Olympics.

I have had some minor trepidation thinking about the tedious task of getting caught up on hoops. I used to really enjoy basketball, especially the NBA. It was a suitable way to soothe the football hangover. I never had a rightful claim to an NBA team while growing up, so I followed the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan. I would watch just about any NBA game I could get in the 90s. Time marched on, and the superstars of the period retired. A void was left that couldn't be filled with the rising stars of the time. I lost interest in the NBA and found myself watching less each season.

These days I struggle to find the motivation to invest in basketball. Of course, I love my Sooners. Despite the struggles of the team this year, I have been thrilled to have Jeff Capel building the program. They are filled with young talent that can't stay on the floor long enough to find any consistency. They seem to be mirroring the football team with their Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde type play, getting big wins at home but getting smoked on the road.

Also like the football team, they lost the best player in the country when sophomore Blake Griffin was the first player selected in last year's NBA draft. Like his counterpart (Sam Bradford), Griffin will miss the entire season due to injury. Pretty spooky. Griffin was the most dominate player I ever saw play for the Sooners. I am old enough to recall the days of Stacey King and Mookie Blaylock, but Griffin was frightening athletically.

So it's understandable that the Sooners have struggled. They need to find an identity without Griffin, and they tend to look for leadership from sophomores and freshman. While I am still a loyal and rabid fan, I do not live and die by wins and losses during a season like this. I really enjoy watching the growth of players and the maturation process of the team, but I am not sweating my clothing choices for fear of jinxing a national championship. NCAA basketball will not be able to fill the void of passion this season.

I have searched to replace the Bulls as my NBA team of choice as I no longer have a rooting interest in that franchise. I thought I would become a Clippers fan and follow Griffin's career. But the Clippers curse continued as Griffin was lost for the season to injury before he ever played a game.

The Clips used to play in San Diego before defecting to Los Angeles. There are few true fans of San Diego sports, but for those of us that exist, rooting for the Clippers is a bitter pill to swallow. Not only are they one of the worst franchises in NBA history (par for the course in San Diego, not L.A.), but they left San Diego. It's hard to feel any loyalty to a franchise that moves away, especially when they only get three televised games a year. That book closed quickly once Griffin called it a season.

Then there's the Oklahoma City Thunder. Oklahoma has always been my second home, and I have true and serious ties to the area. More than being an OU alumnus, my father's side of the family is from Norman, so there is a sense of belonging. I was excited when OKC finally got a professional sports team. The city has embraced the NBA looking for something other than the Sooners (or Cowboys if you're a degenerate) to cheer for. I have been proud of my friends who live in OKC with the way they support Thunder basketball. It is good for the entire state and it helps OKC become a viable market nationally.

Unfortunately, even this has failed to stir the NBA fan within me. I have loosely followed the progression of the Thunder and they have some tremendous young talent. Many speculate they are headed to the playoffs behind Kevin Durant who has quickly become one of the best players in the league. He is a pure scorer, and sure to be a superstar many years to come. Management has made a serious effort to put a competitive team on the floor, and they have made some great personnel choices.

So why can't I buy in? Is it because Durant went to the University of Texas? That's got to be part of it. I would like to hear how Thunder fans get past that. Or perhaps it's the blue and orange uniforms. I realize the Thunder didn't want to alienate folks by slapping crimson and cream on their new NBA franchise, but Boise State colors? Anything with orange? A better choice would have been maroon and gold like Arizona State, but I suppose that's not too Thunderish.

I would argue that NBA stars are not what they used to be, but the current Kobe Bryant/LeBron James rivalry captures basketball fans all over the world. I have never been a Kobe guy (although I have softened my stance as he has matured), and LeBron is still a youngster who has no supporting cast. Shaquille O'Neal is good for a few headlines, but no longer the cornerstone to an NBA championship. I have a hard time convincing myself to root for Cleveland even with James running the floor as my favorite player.

The nation's economic state is reflected in NBA franchises around the league. Talks of an impending work stoppage due to labor and contract disputes do not help foster my desire to be an NBA fan. Owners are clamoring to save money this year to prepare for an off season where James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh will be on the market. The Miami Heat aren't far removed from an NBA championship, yet their financial struggle has left Wade as the only player to watch on a team with no future. Sounds familiar.

The NBA has always been a player driven league, and will continue to be after contracts become more polarized next season. The elite few will command more than the rest of their supporting cast combined as the term sports billionaire becomes relevant. With the unemployment levels skyrocketing and the nation facing a terrible recession, I am not sure how contracts over the $100 million mark will help grow popularity. If a labor dispute should arise from players who don't want to see their $15 million contracts turn to $12 million, fans will have a hard time sympathizing.

Currently, there is only a handful of competitive teams, and even less marketable stars still in their prime. There needs to be more choices when shopping for an NBA team. The lack of rivalries has left a stale smell in the arena. The NBA has allowed Nike to pigeonhole the league by only promoting Kobe and LeBron. A new class of stars like Durant must be promoted to restore the NBA to its 90s popularity.

So if there are any NBA fans out there that can help me regain my interest in professional basketball, please let me hear from you. I would like to know who to root for and why. Right now, I am coming up with dead ends. I guess if all else fails, I'll let the season float by and start watching when the playoffs start. That's what I have done the last five years. I don't really see a reason to change.

5 comments:

  1. As someone who was at the Thunder/Mavs game last night, I can tell you that the OKC Thunder would be a great team to get behind. Second year in a new city as a new team and they are headed to the playoffs because of a young hard playing team with future superstars in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. I have never had that much fun at a game. The Ford Center was the loudest I have ever heard it last night. It was pure joy watching our young team take down the seasoned veterans of Dallas. My heart did do a little pitter patter when Eduardo Najara came out on the floor for Dallas last night but that's just because he was an OU player that I did enjoy watching back in the day. My team is still the OKC Thunder. Thunder up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is very biased since I go to about every game, but Thunder BB is the way to go.
    My Arguments:
    1.Brand new team: This will help you avoid the "fair weather" tag that you may get if you choose to root for the Cavs, Lakers, Heat, or even the Spurs. Besides, if Lebron is not there next year, would you still cheer for them or LBJ? Follow a team, not a person. You get 3 seasons to start rooting for a new team before the FW tag hits you.
    2."Oklahoma has always been my second home, and I have true and serious ties to the area" You said yourself that cheering for the Clippers would not be good since the left San Diego. Cheering for them would be like someone in Seattle cheering for....wait, you get my drift, ha.
    3.OKC is profitable....They DONT reflect the nations economic status....Im just saying...
    4.Fans..OKC fans are like a kid learning to ride a bike without training wheels. We are more of a college crowd, which is nice when it comes to being loud, but we have not quite figured out WHEN to be loud. Also, these guys are professionals. I seriously doubt that those french fry looking blow up things help a player miss a free throw. But, you have to love the tenacity of this city and the way they have rallied around the team.
    5.Management: Sam Presti is a genius, and the way they have put this talent together is a work of art. Which brings me to my last point...
    6.Kevin Durant. I wonder how many Duke fans deny that Jordan is the best of all time? Or how many Notre Dame haters deny Montana's legacy? This is hard for me to admit on a public forum, but I love Durantula. Even AS he flashes the longhorn sign and wears orange shoes. I hate Texas and everything their athletic department stands for, but when players go pro, I tend to leave the college bias behind. (except for Chrissy Simms) Do you despise LT for being from TCU? Do you get upset when Jammer intercepts a pass? My point is that if a player helps your team win, he is a member of your team, not just a former member of your hated rivals. And besides, KD is going to be one of the best of all time if he stays healthy. And the best part? He is perhaps the most humble professional athlete I have ever seen. He drives a minivan, shops at Wal Mart, and loves living in Oklahoma. If he can embrace this place, then I have to recipricate.
    So, give in and cheer for the Thunder. Ill tell you what...If you are interested and can get to OKC before the season is over ill take you to a game and you can see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both great endorsements! You have to remember that I live outside of the market and would mainly be following the team on paper. It's hard to fully invest when you only see them play live every so often. Lyle, you make some great points, and I realize that I have a legitimate claim to being a Thunder fan. It would be awesome to see a game in person, and I'm sure it would help sway my interest. As for point #6, I do take a harder stance than you. Coming from TCU does not make me hate a player, so I never had a problem with LT. I can't stand Quentin Jammer, and I think he was the weakest defensive player under Wade Phillips defense in SD. He is a PI machine. So yes, I do carry the college biases over to pros. I do have to say, as far as Longhorns go, Durant does seem like one of the tolerable ones. He only played there 1 year out of necessity, and his talent is undeniable. Of all the points made, I think it is your statement that Durant could be the best ever that sparks my interest. After forcing myself to watch some of the winter Olympics, watching the NBA seems like a pretty worthwhile venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great discussions about pro basketball!! But I believe the heart of the matter has been missed throughout all the discussions; SPRING TRAINING BEGINS NEXT WEEK!!!

    Enough said!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails