Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Salmon Tacos with Chipotle Mayo and Summer Pico

One of the few things I look forward to in Texas when the weather heats up is the summer crops.  We don't have to wait until June to get quality corn and tomatoes.  The first sale of the year was last week where Firecracker and I were able to pick up six ears for $1 and beautiful vine ripened tomatoes for .99 cents per pound.  Greenhouses and technology have made most of our favorite produce available year round but there is no substitute for produce harvested in season.

Most of the people I know love fresh corn to be eaten on the cob.  Grilled corn on the cob with cilantro butter is a favorite of my parents.  Firecracker has been caught "clearing the table" by eating the leftover corn when she thinks no one is looking.  And, it wasn't long ago I watched a close friend nearly put himself into a corn coma after crushing five ears worth.  I actually have photographic evidence of the event before, during, and after, but that shall remain between friends.  What I will say is his wife writes a blog I follow called McMurrey with an E-Y. Check it out.

While I do enjoy corn in every way, I have to admit I prefer to eat it off the cob.  One of my favorite ways is in a roasted corn pico.

Roasted Corn Pico

3 ears of fresh corn grilled or oven roasted until slightly browned
4 roasted poblanos seeded and chopped
1 serrano minced (seeds and ribs included)
2 jalepenos seeded and minced
3 vine ripened tomatoes chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cucumber seeded and chopped
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 small red onion (or half large one) diced
1 yellow bell pepper chopped
Handful of fresh chopped cilantro
Juice of 2 limes (adjust to taste)
2-3 TBS olive oil
Salt & Pepper
*Adobo seasoning (I have used cumin and chili powder in similar recipes but I didn't want cumin to overpower the freshness. Whatever seasoning you use, go light because most of the flavor comes from the combination of roasted and fresh veggies along with the lime and cilantro)

Simply combine these ingredients and refrigerate.  It will taste great immediately, but becomes unbelievable after four hours in the fridge when everything has a chance to mingle.  It's great as a salsa on chips (which we did), but it was even better as a topping on seared salmon tacos.

The tacos couldn't be easier to make.  As an apartment chef I don't have access to a grill very often.  If I did, I would grill the salmon in this recipe with olive oil and salt & pepper finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.  Since this wasn't an option, I pan seared the salmon fillets which is just as easy and faster.  All you need is a hot pan and olive oil.  Season the salmon with salt & pepper and sear each side for 2-3 minutes, finish with lemon juice.

Chipotle Mayo


In a food processor add:

2 canned chipotles in adobo
1/4c mayo
1/4c sour cream
1/2 lime juiced
2 TBS cilantro
1 TBS agave or honey
salt & pepper to taste

Whizz up those ingredients and you have the perfect sauce for a fish taco.  Spicy and creamy but balanced by the agave with a fresh kick from the cilantro and lime.  Slap some of the mayo on a tortilla (we used good corn tortillas), add your salmon, top with the pico and crumble a little queso fresca on top.  It is a great summer dish that is soul satisfying but still fresh and light.  Perfect with a watermelon/mint margarita.

P.S. The chipotle mayo is really good on herb roasted fingerling potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. This entire meal was amazing, and the secret was in the sauce. It was seriously one of the best condiments I've ever eaten...full-flavored, totally balanced, good on everything. Even my finger. Mmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take an order of these please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and Firecracker bring that recipe when you arrive next week!!

    I'm waiting for the wrap up of NBA finals and Stanley Cup!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails