Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Letter to Adrian Gonzalez

Dear Adrian,

Your departure crowns the harsh reality of being a Padres fan.  In you, San Diego loses its most consistent run producer of my lifetime, on a team with no other slugger.  I hoped you would be another Tony Gwynn, sacrificing career success to play in San Diego, but that is an impossibility in today's baseball market.

There is no way a player of your caliber can throw away $100 million and a chance to play for a legendary franchise on baseball's biggest stage.  When the Padres traded Jake Peavy I wondered if ownership was preparing to shell out some money to keep you at home, but I didn't hold out much hope.  I have endured way too many years of "rebuilding" efforts.

I guess I knew this day would come.  On the bright side, we got to watch you a year longer than most experts thought.  You never wavered in your commitment to the Padres and never complained about your miniscule salary.  All you did was anchor a lineup that gave you no help, and still produced in the toughest park in the Major Leagues.

They tell me keeping you doesn't make financial sense.  I guess that means the Padres will never attempt to be competitive and will continue to be run as an investment rather than a sports franchise.  New ownership, same as the old ownership.  The Padres will continue to operate as a Major League farm system.  They trade marquee players they can't afford for top prospects.  Once the prospects establish themselves, they will be shipped away for new prospects, creating an endless cycle.

As usual the Padres have some promising young talent who have yet to blossom, but you can be sure that once Will Venable has a breakout season he will be out the door too. Then Latos.  It will be a surprise if they keep Heath Bell. 

To me, it would make perfect financial sense to sign you.  A steroid-free, left hander who hits for power and average in the prime of his career is a good investment.  Especially one who is also a silky smooth gold glover.  You are from San Diego, but you are also Mexican and lived in Mexico making you the most marketable player available.  You are humble, hard working, and you have no behavioral flaws or ego, and you are a great teammate.

So the attendance has been bad, even with you on the team...If the ownership wants to fill the seats, they have to keep the fan favorites.  Then get more fan favorites.  Stockpile rather than distribute.  But, that's not the Padres way.  They don't have the money.  They are content on being small market.  What ownership seems to forget is that there is always money in a champion.  If you win, they will come.

Sorry if I rambled a bit.  I basically just wanted to say that we were fortunate to watch you play, and I'm sure we'll see you hoisting a trophy wearing red and white.  Don't let the media get you down.  At least they care.  I bet it will be a thrill to have a packed Fenway Park cheering wildly when you hit the field for the first time.

Before I conclude here, could you answer me one question?  What happened with Jon Garland?  Why would he take a one year contract with the Dodgers?  Was he not happy as a Padre?  His salary isn't impressive either. He decided he liked pitching in Petco just not for the Padres, huh?  Pretty weak.  At least the games will get quicker without his 30 minute innings.

Anyway, thanks for the time. I'm not sure if Theo Epstein has his eye on any other former Padres, but there are about six more out there.  I think David Eckstein is available.  He'd be great for morale and a good bench player, plus he knows that league pretty well.

Okay, have fun denting up the green monster.  With your opposite field stroke you might hit .330 to go with the 35 homers and 140 RBI you'll produce.  We'll miss you.

 Adios,

 Blake Bryan

4 comments:

  1. DITTO, It's hard being a fan. I wonder if they feel they had a little team last year (with the exception of Andrian and Heath) and went way farther than anyone expected. Too difficult trying to be the fairytale team every year. I also believe that you have to have the names to put people in the bleachers. See 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely stated! Adrian is a special player and will do exactly what Dave Winfield and Joe Carter and Ozzie Smith and...you get the the picture. I am taking a new approach beginning with the 2011 season. It is impossible to hate the team because I am mad at management. (It is a sickness, I'll get help). So living with this illness, I have made up my mind to treat the Padres as an NCAA team, that the players are recruited, play for a few years and then move on to the Pros. I believe it will help me accept the harsh reality that more quality talent will be departing to real teams after this season...or sooner!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can only hope the confines of Petco allow Harang to recover some of his past glory...we'll see

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails