Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Top 50: Films of the 80s


Most who know me well are embarrassed by my vast knowledge of 80s music and culture. Being a child of the 80s, I was always amused by the decade's entertainment. It is hard to define what makes this period so fascinating. Even after turning 30, I still explore sub genres of music and movies I never knew existed.

Part of the charm of 80s entertainment is the blurred line between quality and garbage. Sometimes the "bad" films or music actually brought more entertainment than the "good" ones. The truly memorable films of the period are filled with heart rather than production value. That is not to say that there weren't quality films or music produced during the decade. But when the 80s label is attached to entertainment, the idea of what this means transcends quality and becomes a water color image of the decade. More people think of Pretty in Pink than The Color Purple.

After seeing an ad for the upcoming movie Hot Tub Time Machine, I immediately felt a sense of loss. Not only for John Cusack (one of the few 80s icons that was able to continue a career beyond the decade), but for the oft maligned films of the period. For some reason, most films that try to pay homage to the 80s don't come close to reproducing the personality of the period and merely serve to perpetuate stereotypes rather than capture the essence. I decided to create a list of my favorite films of the 80s but had some trouble finding motivation to complete this list. After hearing about Corey Haim's untimely demise (although not unexpected) I found the motivation to complete my post.

This is a list of my favorite movies from the 80s. It would not be accurate to say that these are the best films of the 80s, just like it would be different to say they are the best 80s films. Each would be a separate category with separate restrictions, so I decided to just rank my favorites. Some epitomize being young in the 80s, some are just entertaining movies. Here's how I see it.

1. Caddyshack

I can't believe this movie was originally considered a flop. It is admittedly not the greatest film ever created on any level, but it is my favorite of the decade. Every scene is nearly flawless with every performer contributing humor. I was shocked to find out that Chevy Chase and Bill Murray did not speak to each other on set unless they were performing in a scene.

Signature Moment: The "Buddies for Life" exchange between Chase and Murray.

2. The Breakfast Club

When I think of 80s movies, this is the first one that comes to mind. Writer/director/producer/film legend John Hughes practically owned the 80s and early 90s. In an era dominated by ensemble casts and coming of age story lines, The Breakfast Club set the standard. This film truly captures the reality of suburbia high school while filming nearly every scene in one room. The cast was hand picked and featured fresh faces that were catapulted to fame shortly after.

Signature Moment: Super happy ending finishing with Judd Nelson pumping his fist in the air to the backdrop of Simple Minds', Don't you Forget About Me.

3. Back to the Future

It's hard to find someone over the age of 25 that doesn't consider Back to the Future a great movie. Although Michael J. Fox had a terrific career that spanned several outstanding performances, he will always be known as Marty Mcfly. This film had a perfect balance of fantastic script, excellent casting, captivating special effects, great direction, and fabulous production quality. Not much you can say bad about this film.

Signature Moment: Marty's performance of Johnny B. Goode while jumping off speakers and writhing around the stage.

4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Another Hughes classic. I still remember the first time I ever saw this movie. I was unable to take my eyes off the screen. Hughes had a way of taking the most simple ideas and making them captivating films that are quoted throughout generations.

Signature Moment: Hard to pick a single moment, but I always got my biggest laugh watching the two valets flying through the air in the Ferrari while the backdrop music played the Star Wars theme.

5. The Untouchables

One of the most overlooked gangster movies. Pretty surprising considering the cast features: Robert De Niro, Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, and Andy Garcia. This is a must see for any that enjoy gangster dramas. When I hear the name Al Capone, I think of De Niro.

Signature Moment: Capone's speech about baseball and his demonstration on how to swing a bat.

6. Blood Simple

The Coen brothers are geniuses and Blood Simple is a masterpiece. Before No Country for Old Men, there was this film. The way the Coens' can connect with the viewer by perfecting multiple elements of storytelling is amazing. There are layers of horror, mystery, thriller, and comedy wrapped into the direction of this film while the script and plot remain relatively (well) simple.

7. A Christmas Story

You know a holiday movie is a classic if it can end up in a top ten list. No matter how much TNT threatens to destroy the novelty of this incredible movie by running it for 48 straight hours over Christmas, it will be one of my all time favorites forever.

Signature Moment: Ralphie beating the crap out of the neighborhood bully.

8. Henry V

If you aren't a fan of anything Shakespeare this film could change your mind. Although the translation is literal, this indie film earned Kenneth Branagh Academy Award nominations for Best Actor and Best Director. The battle scenes from Braveheart were clearly interpreted from this movie. Superb in every facet.

Signature Moment: The St. Crispin's Day speech will make you want to get out of your seat and fight against the French yourself.

9. Goonies

One of my favorite movies as a child. Great ensemble cast but the funniest character is Data. I would have killed to have some of his gadgets. "That's what I said! Booty traps."

Signature Moment: The Truffle shuffle. What else?

10. Fletch

Everything Chevy Chase touched turned to gold in the 80s and Fletch was no exception. Definitely one of the most quotable movies ever. There aren't too many performers that can basically make a one man movie, but Chase did it.

Signature Moment: Fletch dreaming about playing for the Lakers. "He is actually six five, with the afro six nine."

11. Hoosiers

I used to get pumped up for basketball games by listening to the theme music.

12. The Empire Strikes Back

Always a fan of Star Wars, this was my favorite installment.

13. Field of Dreams

The only movie that ever made me shed a tear.

14. The Princess Bride

I nearly wore out the Beta Max tape as a youngster.

15. Christmas Vacation

I almost left this off a shorter list because of A Christmas Story and Vacation, but it is way too good to ignore.

16. Ghostbusters

Rick Moranis is brilliant and Bill Murray is the funniest man alive (especially after the Chevy Chase Show although he is making a comeback...check out Community).

17. Vacation

Another Chase and Hughes classic.

18. Wall Street

Timely and entertaining. Michael Douglas is awesome as Gordon Gekko.

19. Young Guns

"Did you see the size of that chicken?"

20. Clue

Not as well known, but really entertaining.

21. Blues Brothers

This movie broke the record for most cars crashed when it was released. Seriously.

22. Major League

Highly quotable, great characters.

23. Die Hard

Possibly my favorite pure action movie.

24. Never Ending Story

I was entranced by this movie as a child.

25. Airplane!

Laughs from start to finish.

26. Beetlejuice

One of Tim Burton's first films. "Nice fucking model! *honk honk*"

27. The Lost Boys

A tribute to Corey Haim. Definitely his best movie.

28. Bull Durham

Great concept, great performances.

29. This is Spinal Tap

The first mockumentary for Christopher Guest (Best in Show).

30. Real Genius

Awesome ending with Tears for Fears', Everybody Wants to Rule the World rocking the credits.

31. Weird Science

"Chicks can't hold they smoke. That's what it is..."

32. Back to School

Worth watching for the diving board scene alone.

33. Return of the Jedi

Not quite as good as Empire, but the first 45 minutes are awesome.

34. Teen Wolf

Michael J. Fox as a breakdancing, basketball playing, van surfing werewolf. Of course its a good movie.

35. Spaceballs

Mel Brooks is consistent.

36. The Gods Must Be Crazy

Not well known, but really funny.

37. Coming to America

This movie taught me how to let my soul glow.

38. The Shining

One of the rare Stephen King adaptations that worked. Jack Nicholson was a good choice.

39. Raising Arizona

My first Coen brothers movie.

40. The Gate

The Gate is a B movie that both intrigued and terrified me as a child.

41. Big Trouble in Little China

Yep. Kung Fu and Kurt Russell. It works.

42. The Monster Squad

Another sentimental choice from my childhood. This was the coolest movie among third graders at Canyon View Elementary.

43. Raging Bull

Many have this as the best movie from the 80s. I don't quite see it like that, but still a tremendous film.

44. Dragnet

Dan Akroyd and Tom Hanks pair up well in this remake.

45. Glory

Fantastic movie with a positive message and historical setting.

46. Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Based on Cameron Crowe's novel that he researched by going undercover as a student at Clairemont High School in San Diego.

47. Platoon

Interesting take in the pantheon of Vietnam movies.

48. Gremlins

Never feed your mogwai after midnight.

49. The Terminator

The perfect vehicle for Schwarzenegger, no dubbing required.

50. Top Secret

Val Kilmer in a spoof film that is off the wall and hilarious.


A quick note about John Hughes who died less than a year ago. 10 percent of the movies in my top 50 have his fingerprints on them. Here are some of the titles that he was involved with that didn't make the cut: Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Pretty in Pink, European Vacation, Sixteen Candles, and Mr. Mom. And that's just the 80s. He sadly died a recluse refusing to do interviews or be in the public eye at all for his final years. Can you imagine the landscape of 80s films without him? I certainly couldn't find 50 movies to fill up a list. Amazing guy. By the way, he kicked off the 90s by writing and producing Home Alone.

There you have it. Please let me know why this list is a disgrace and I will gladly respond.

12 comments:

  1. First of all, your freakishly thorough knowledge of 80s trivia is completely endearing and one of the things I adore most about you, Mr. Bryan. And secondably, your list is definitely not a disgrace. There are so many awesome movies in there (some of which I've seen, several of which I missed) but some definitely got overlooked.
    A few fall into the chick flick category, but that decade arguably produced some of the best ever: Say Anything (Lloyd Dobbler+boombox=sigh), Can't Buy Me Love (Dempsey as McDorky), Short Circuit (Johnny #5), Overboard (ah, Mans..."I like it when she goes bah-buh-bah-bah.."), Troop Beverly Hills (abfab), Three Men & A Baby (action AND romance), Splash (thanks, Hanks), Big (thanks again). And that's just off the top of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered Overboard, Short Circuit, and Big. Although I enjoyed those movies and can understand why they might be in your list, they just didn't resonate enough with me. Short Circuit probably would land in my top 60, and any movie with Ally Sheedy is at least considered. You are right that there is a myriad of films that I overlooked because they are more female oriented.

    "And secondably, I know you're the big marriage expert. Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead. I'm sorry. That was 100% inappropriate, and I do apologize profusely." -Tobias Funke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list man, you do know your 80's movies... some of my favorites are:(no particular order)
    1.Lethal Weapon (One of the best onscreen duos of all time)
    2.Aliens (James Cameron is another 80's icon)
    3.Batman (Michael Keaton was surprisingly good)
    4.Beverly Hills Cop (Axel Foley song still in my head)
    4.Better off Dead (I WANT my 2 Dollars!)
    5.Top Gun(Dont you EVER leave your wing man!)
    6.Stripes (The US Army is pretty good...we are 10-1)
    7.Stand by Me(This movie taught me how to swear as a child)
    8.Scrooged (I see a Bill Murray theme here)
    9.Scarface (Say Hello to my little friend)
    10.Predator (You are one ugly mother fucker!)
    11.Rambo(how could you forget this one?!)
    12.Killer Clowns from outer space (nuff said)
    13.The outsiders (Who was not in this movie?)
    14. ET (who DIDNT want a flying bike?)
    15.The Karate Kid (Sweep the leg Johnny!)
    Ok, I could go on forever. While I think that 80's music needs to go away, the movies are some of the best of all time....Oh, and what was that movie that we used to talk about where the kid would go to the Detroit Tigers games, and when he prayed that one dude would hit home runs? Great post man, brings back plenty of memories

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vision of 80s music is very narrow. I agree, the pop music from the 80s is well past its resurgent days and once again very annoying, although there are some classics. The stuff to really check out are bands like Talking Heads, Men at Work deep cuts, The Pixies, Echo and the Bunnymen, Billy idol, English Beat, Bowie, The Specials, Joy Division, and about 20 more that I could recommend. I bet most people haven't heard 5% of what these guys produced. Anyway, I digress.

    I love the list. I totally forgot about Lethal Weapon and The Outsiders although I don't think I can honestly say they would have made it.

    Better Off Dead, Stripes, Scarface, The Karate Kid, Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, and one you didn't mention Spies Like Us I edged out near the 50.

    Stand By Me and E.T. were a bit too sad for me to fully enjoy although they both have lots of value.

    Aliens, Predator, and Rambo I may have seen once a very long time ago. I don't generally watch a lot of action movies.

    Batman was good but got bumped because it has been eclipsed by the new version for me. I don't think I would go back and watch it again.

    It's so awesome you said Killer Clowns From Outer Space because I have definitely seen that movie, and got a good laugh when I read that.

    Leaving only Scrooged which makes me feel a little bad because I think I bumped it solely on the basis I already had 2 Christmas movies in the list. Bill Murray, what can you say.

    Did you ever see the The Gate? Not many people have, just wondering.

    Finally, the answer you are looking for is Tiger Town. Totally forgot about that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TIGER TOWN!! That's it! I forgot the name. I looked at a list of the 80's movies, and I can honestly say I saw about 90% of them. Yes, the gate scared the crap out of me as a kid. Oh, and kudos on the god's must be crazy...good call!
    After all of the 80's themed music nights in Curtis's room while I was trying to study or sleep will forever tarnish the sound of that era... Ill give you the Talking heads, Pixies and U2. After that give me more grunge and 90's music to listen to.
    BTW, check ut this link....not much info, but I cannot wait for an Arrested Development movie!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to realize that part of the fun for Curtiss and me was to play junk that everyone hated yet would still stick around despite it. The selection was definitely bubble gum, and I do feel for you living right across the hall. Funny cause that room went from the party room to the doors always closed and locked and you had to be named Randilu to enter.

    You do listen to country now though...

    I'm nervous about the Arrested Development movie. I hope they stay true to the show and it doesn't turn out like the Reno 911 movie. I'll still be in line the first day with the rest of the groupies, or shall I say blupies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, yeah I agree...

    SOME country. Its better than Keith Sweat, haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brings back alot of memories cause I saw alot of those movies with you. Some of my personal favorites you left out were: The Big Chill (music and obvious generational connection), Chariots of Fire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Driving Miss Daisy (Morgan Freemans best along with Shawshank), Rain Man (Vegas), Moonstruck (best egg in the hole scene), Tootsie, The Elephant Man, Blade Runner (ahead of its time) and possibly Kevin Klines funniest, A Fish Called Wanda, throw in Amadeus and a movie with one of the most romantic flying scenes and music - Out of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely missed Raiders of the Lost Ark, I had it in my original top 25 and somehow forgot about it when I went to my top 50. Werid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a great post! Got me to thinking about my favorite movies from the 80's as well. Quite a few of your favorites are on my list too. I can't leave Dirty Dancing off my list though! Ha! One that I was surprised about not being on your list was The Natural. I know we watched that one a hundred times too. Although Goonies and Monster Squad stand out the most in my mind as the movies we watched over and over. I knew Henry V and Gods Must Be Crazy would be on the list. By the way, Killer Klowns from Outer Space can be purchased at DeepDiscount.com for something like $4.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just checked and Killer Klowns is no longer available. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do very much appreciate your list! I, like Jen, would support the addition of Troop Beverly Hills (so many stars and Tori Spelling as a brunette...I could sing the song if that would convince you) and Overboard. Now my other MUST haves include Karate Kid ("Daniel Larusso's gonna fight? Daniel Larusso's gonna fight!" ps that line has it's own myspace page. RIP Pat Morita. And Mike was IN LOVE with Elizabeth Shue) and the magical Dirty Dancing (RIP Patrick). Both CLASSICS! I also have a very cool "The 80s game" board game that has always been very fun--perhaps it could fit in my luggage the next time I visit your lovely wifey!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails