Friday, February 21, 2014

Durant's MVP Lead Fuels James




Funny thing about a neglected blog as my homepage...


It forces me to think about it every time I open my computer.   "There you are.  I see you."

When it feels me pulling away it tries to talk to me..."What's up, Buddy? You good? Alright, yeah man, just checking in.  Remember that Chargers post six months ago?  I remember, like, you were typing so fast at one point and, like, my screen totally couldn't catch up. That was awesome.  Yeah, September was fun.  Seems like awhile ago doesn't it?"

Sometimes I try hiding from my needy blog homepage and use my Ipad more.  But as time goes by in silence my blog homepage tries to reconnect... "Remember me?  Hey, hey man.  I just want to be friends.  No big deal.  Why don't you log in and look around?  You don't even have to write anything."

When that doesn't work, the name calling starts.  "Lazy."  "Hack."  "Procrastinator."  "Jerk."

Next comes the emotional appeal..."What about your four readers whose lives aren't being enriched by your compelling sports opinions?...And what about you Blake?...Don't you owe it to yourself to continue writing?...You like to write..."

That one usually gets me so I have to answer my blog homepage.

"It's not my fault Blog Homepage.  When football season gets in full swing I just lose track a little.  My writing time is sacrificed to watch and read and consume more football.  Then when football season is over I'm way too tired to jump back into my old writing routines."

"I mean, come on.  You understand.  During football season I'm expending extra energy figuring out if I should use conditioner on a game day, or what underwear is acceptable to wear Friday night to bed, or which speed bumps to drive over on my way home.  I still like hanging out with you, but it's a grind, man.  I have too many superstitions."

But the blog homepage doesn't give a shit about that.  It doesn't want excuses, it wants uses (bad ass wordplay off the top of my head).  Then there's awkward silence until I eventually cave in.

So, I'm back.  As is the NBA after a short All Star break.



Two weeks ago Kevin Durant was a lock for the MVP award.

He has rightfully received a tremendous amount of adulation from the media, especially after a torrid January statistically.  In the absence of Russell Westbrook, Durant has lead the OKC Thunder to the best record in the NBA.  Already the most talented scorer, Durant has elevated every aspect of his game this season.  At 25 years old he is entering his prime and deserves to be the current MVP front-runner.

There is a consensus that LeBron James and Durant are the two best players in the game.  Many believe Durant has closed the gap that once existed between them.  The chasm that exists between Durant and the third best player (whoever that is) is much wider.

After three straight trips to the Finals, James appeared to be coasting somewhat this season.  His efficiency ratings were off the charts but he lacked his signature energy on defense.  Most believed James was saving himself for the post season.  Others believed he lacked motivation after all the recent success.

He isn't coasting anymore.  Using the attention paid to Durant as fuel, James has announced his intention to give him a run in the MVP race.

It apparently bothered James that he was being overshadowed and outperformed by Durant.  When Durant started getting hot offensively, James publicly stated he was "jealous" of the shot attempts Durant gets.  When the debate shows declared Durant as a lock for the MVP award, James had a video leak of him dunking in practice.  Most recently, when Durant elevated his team to the best record in the NBA, James picked up his scoring and took the Heat on a 5-1 Western Conference road trip that included a buzzer beater three to beat Golden State, and a head to head victory over Durant and the Thunder. 

Durant has not been as vocal as James about winning awards, but it's no secret he's not just coming for the MVP.  He's coming for James' throne.  He wants the awards, the championships and James' place at the table.

The growing threat of Durant has James' full attention.  He wants the MVP if for nothing more than to beat out Durant.  Only one player can take the award but as fans we all win with this burgeoning rivalry.  This is the first time in James' career that he has had a legitimate counterpart.  Will they bring the best out of each other like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson?  It seems Durant has already done that for James.

James will have to be special, even by his standards, to overtake Durant.  Winning four of the last five MVP's has created voter fatigue similar to the Michael Jordan era.  James would have to be definitively better than Durant to force the voters to give him a third straight MVP.

Durant will probably win the MVP this season but he is no longer a lock.  His consistency is remarkable, his team is excellent and voters are eager to give the award to anyone not named LeBron.  But James has accepted Durant's challenge ensuring a riveting finish to the season from the league's top two players.  Hopefully it's a duel that lasts well past this season.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails